Friday, April 2, 2010

Clash of the Titans: Don't Bother

The film "Clash of the Titans" is unfortunately, a huge disappointment. The film is a remake of the 1981 film directed by Desmond Davis, that shares the same title.  The film starts out with a married couple on a boat at night who discover a coffin in the ocean. They crack it open to find a dead woman and a baby that is still alive. They take the baby and raise it as their own and call him, Perseus. Years later, due to unforeseen events, Perseus must rise against the Gods and Zeus's brother, Hades, to gain justice and save the city of Argos, but its quite a boring fight.
Perseus, portrayed by Sam Worthington, is the same tired character we see all the time. He has very little fight in him to conquer the Kraken, and the evil God, Hades. I think it was more the writing of the character than Worthington himself, because I've seen what Worthington has done, and honestly he's better than this. I wanted to love Perseus and root for him but I just couldn't care for him all that much.

Ralph Fiennes plays Hades, God of the Underworld. His character, was at times hard to watch. I found him annoying especially since he made up this whisper-y type voice that I guess was supposed to make him seem more evil but not only did it make it worse but it seemed forced and corny.

No one in this film really impressed me, no one was interesting to watch or care for. Even the special effects and the CGI was poor quality. I felt like everything looked fake, the Kraken, some of the sets, even Liam Neeson as Zeus! They had this horrible lighting on Zeus's clothes that was supposed to make him seem more "Godly" but it looked amateur.

I'm not exactly sure what director, Louis Leterrier, was going for. The CGI and special effects did not blend well with the film at all. I felt as though I was watching a goofy movie from the early 90s at some points. If you are going to remake or recreate a film almost 30 years later, I would think you would try to take advantage of some of the incredible technology we have today, and not rush through this great Greek mythology story. It was poorly put together and it made me feel that this was only created through laziness just to make money.

I am a big fan of movies and everything that comes with it, and it is very rare when I dislike a film. I'm still shocked that this movie was not what I was expecting at all. The trailer looked awesome and I love Sam Worthington but sadly that's as far as it goes. But, I do have to say with my love for movies I usually can find at least a few things that I enjoy about any film. In this film, I enjoyed  some of the action scenes, there were a few fighting scenes that were entertaining to watch when the camera angles aren't so up close that you can't see what's happening. I also loved Pegaus, I really loved how they made him look. He actually looked real and beautiful. There is a really gorgeous shot of Perseus riding Pegasus on the beach at sunset that was probably one of my favorite shots in the movie.

But other than that, I can't really say that I would recommend this to anyone. I truly wanted to love this movie! So, I apologize in advance if I totally ruined your decision to view this film, but trust me I'm doing you a favor and saving you time and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment