Friday, May 21, 2010

ALIENS

Yes, I'm talking about the 1986 James Cameron classic sci-fi action thriller starring the courageous and strong Sigourney Weaver. "Aliens" is the sequel to the 1979 Ridley Scott film "Alien." "Aliens" takes place about 60 years after the first film and Sigourney Weaver's character Ripley is still in hyper sleep. She wakes up to find out that where her ship landed 60 years ago and where her crew members perished is now being colonized. Unfortunately the aliens are taking over and the 70 or so families that began living on that planet are now getting attacked and killed. It's up to Ripley and a team of marines to save who ever is left and destroy the planet.


This movie was awesome. I actually enjoyed this film so much more than the first film. "Aliens" was fast paced, exciting and I felt as though the characters were more in-depth. Sigourney Weaver's character is beyond awesome. She's feisty, strong, brave and incredibly admirable. She is captivating and empowering to watch. Weaver's performance was brilliant and even if the movie was bad-which it wasn't at all- I think I would still enjoy it just for her unbelievable role.


In this film, they brought in a character of a little girl named "Newt" (Carrie Henn) which in my opinion gave the movie so much heart. Not only does everyone have to go in, do their mission and leave and still survive but they bring in this little 8 or 9 year old girl that is quite brave but has been through and seen a lot. They need to protect her and I liked how they worked that in. She forms a great bond with Ripley and the audience is just rooting for them to do their mission and get home safely.

The action in "Aliens" is truly thrilling. I think I was at the edge of my seat for most of the movie, which was fun and exciting. Cameron had great shots and details throughout the film that you just kept wanting more. I know I'm about 24 years late on seeing this film, so to me, it was quite funny seeing how this film is supposed to take place in the far future but it looks quite vintage and 80s to me. But, that's just because I know it not only came out in 86 but the computers they showcase in the film definitely date it. But, other than those 2 aspects I think Cameron does a really great job in trying to make the film timeless. Back then, I'm sure the technology they used seemed foreign and unbelievable but in a world filled with cell phones, ipods and netbooks I guess for me it was hard to believe.

I would definitely recommend "Aliens" to anyone who has a love for sci-fi action thrillers, women empowerment and anyone who enjoyed the first "Alien" film.

Have you seen it? What do you think? If not, will you check it out? It will be playing on Sunday May 23, 2010 on Syfy and Thursday May 27, 2010 on Syfy. Check your local listings for the correct times.

No comments:

Post a Comment