Saturday, May 29, 2010

Cloverfield

The 2008 monster movie, "Cloverfield" stars Michael Stahl-David, T.J. Miller, Lizzy Caplan and Odette Yustman and is directed by Matt Reeves. The film is centered on a major monster attack in New York City that effect a group of young adults.



This movie was a disappointment for me. I for one, am not really into scary or horror type films, even though this didn't exactly fill that genre. I guess it'd be cateogorized more as a thriller, but even so I was disappointed. The ending was in my opinion, horrible. There was a huge buildup to nothing. A lot of characters came and went quite quickly that it was hard to care for them.

I did enjoy that it actually looked like it was filmed by this character Hud the entire time. I really really liked that aspect of it, because it made it more real and more exciting to the story.  It felt like everything that was happening in the city and with these characters was real and genuine. But like I said before, it was hard to really care for these characters because some of them weren't in it for that long so I wasn't exactly sad to see them go.

The story was unique, it starts off as some sort of romantic drama with Rob leaving for Japan and also leaving the love of his life, Beth(Odette Yustman). They are best friends who love each other but of course neither of them know it, and on the camcorder there are videos of Beth and Rob having sweet conversations and having a really great time together but then disaster strikes and the audience is reminded that they are watching a monster flick. So, I really enjoyed seeing snippets of happier times through the camera and trying to understand their relationship.

I would recommend this film to anyone who enjoys monster movies and anyone who can view 85 minutes of film on a shaky hand held camera. It was decent, but I definitely wouldn't watch it again.
The film starts off with the group of young adults attending a going away party for their friend, Rob(Michael Stahl-David). At the party, Rob's friend Hud(T.J. Miller) is videotaping everyone's farewells to Rob. The movie, is told from Hud's video camera the entire time. During the party, things start to get out of hand when a huge monster strikes the city and chaos begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment