Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Robin Hood

Ridley Scott's latest film, "Robin Hood" stars Russell Crowe in the title role. It's the story of Robin Longstride a common archer who fights for what he believes in. It is just the very beginning of the Robin Hood story, where he pretends to be someone he is not and is a leader to the people of England and fights alongside the King against the French.  


This film was good, but it was definitely not how the previews and commercials made it seem. It was not a fast paced action packed film at all. It was actually quite slow throughout the whole beginning and didn't get very good until the last half hour when all the action began. Although it was a good film, it wasn't as good and exciting as I thought it would be, which unfortunately was a let down. I definitely would not pay to see it again but I'd probably turn it on if it was on television.


Russell Crowe was great, as usual,  in the role of Robin. His character was a true fighter yet quite sentimental in  some parts which made him captivating and lovable to watch. Cate Blanchett portrayed Lady Marion Loxley who was patiently awaiting the return of her husband after he left her for war. She too was enjoyable to watch. Even though I'm not a big fan of either Crowe or Blanchett I really thought their acting was great. It was an odd pairing but they made it work and had good chemistry throughout the film. I thought overall the acting was really good in this film.

Robin also has a few select friends that appear throughout the film, which added some nice comic relief  here and there. I liked his friendship with the friends and how they were truly there for each other no matter what.
It was nice to see that could've existed that many years ago.


I don't have any knowledge of the Robin Hood story but from this movie it seems very interesting. I just think the way it was told could've been a little different. Scott's shots and vision for this world and life was awesome. I thought he did a great job with that but the storytelling could've used more work. It was a little disappointing to see a film like this and be bored. The characters were great but I didn't care for them. I didnt really care about anything that was going on. It didn't have much heart. I guess I just wanted more and I wanted to see more of Robin's past and why he is the guy he is today, I didn't see that or even understand it.


I would recommend this to film to anyone who enjoys psuedo-action movies and the begining of the tale of Robin Hood. Also anyone who wants to see a summer blockbuster film that is neither in IMAX or 3D. If you decide to check it out, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment