Friday, June 11, 2010

Get Him to the Greek


The Jonah Hill/Russell Brand comedy "Get Him to the Greek" was not as good or as funny as everyone is making it seem. Russell Brand brings back his character from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" as Aldous Snow while Jonah Hill portrays a completely different character from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and portrays Aaron Green. The entire movie is based on Aaron Green trying to get this famous rock star Aldous Stone to play this one show that will hopefully be a career comeback for him after he destroyed his whole life with just one bad single entitled "African Child."


This film is not hilarious. Sure it has some parts in it that are funny, but as a whole it's not that funny. This was a let down, especially since I heard everyone saying that it was hilarious and the funniest movie since "The Hangover" which I personally believe is a very bold statement, because "The Hangover" was in fact hilarious and this was no where close to that caliber of funny. 
Jonah Hill was great. He portrays this nerdy young guy who lives with his girlfriend in LA and has a pretty neat job. He works for this guy named Sergio(P. Diddy yes you read that right P. Diddy is in this), who is a real hard ass he is loud tough and will put you in your place and embarrass you with no hesitation. P. Diddy was actually pretty funny, his character got a little annoying at times but he was quite funny. Russell Brand on the other hand, plays the selfish annoying Aldous Snow who is not funny. Honestly I saw the movie late last night and I can't think of one part in the film that he did that was actually funny. Most of the comedy came from Jonah Hill and P. Diddy.

The story of the film, was pretty weak. It was all about getting Aldous to do one thing and it's like pulling teeth. It was actually making me angry watching how selfish his character was, I know he was supposed to  be portrayed in that way but I wish they would've done more with the plot or the characters to make it a little more interesting and enjoyable and not so predictable.

In my opinion, some parts were hard to watch with  how frustrating it was for Aaron to deal with Aldous. Then they had Elizabeth Moss portray Jonah Hill's girlfriend Daphne and I didn't even understand her character. They were supposed to be this sweet couple living comfortably together but every scene with them was awkward and weird. Daphne was really weird I can't even describe it, there were moments of awkward silences and just plain old weirdness between her and Aaron and I kept thinking there was some underlying subtext or something but it never escalated to anything.

I would recommend this film to anyone who enjoys Russell Brand or Jonah Hill because I think the fans of those two actors will be the only people who enjoy this film. If you think Jonah Hill is that guy from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" who is obsessed with Aldous Snow and really awkward, he's not which also made absolutely no sense. If they were going to have Russell Brand bring back his character you would think if they had Jonah Hill starring in the film with him they would have him be portrayed as Matt the waiter from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"as well but they don't and I think that is ridiculous. So disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I totally forgot that Jonah Hill was in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" until you mentioned that. And, duh, yeah, why wouldn't he play the same character? That's weird. I liked the reference to Sarah Marshall though. I like when things connect like that, even though obviously, they didn't fully connect it with the whole Jonah thing. Why not make him the waiter?

    Ok, but I am so glad you said something about Daphne. Her character was WEIRD and not likeable at all. I didn't want them to be together in the least.

    I did think the movie was funny though. I went in thinking it would be stupid, and I was actually pleasantly surprised. I agree that Russell Brand was not funny. I was actually impressed with his acting. Not that he was this amazing actor, but I didn't think he'd be as good as he was in somewhat of a "serious" role. P. Diddy was funny. Jonah definitely cracked me up, particularly after he got stabbed by the needle and they were in the car. I thought that was hysterical.

    As for "The Hangover" I saw it like WAY after it was so hyped up and I thought it was very funny but not the best comedy ever as everyone makes it seem like it is.

    Did you review "Couples Retreat" btw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne was SOOOOO weird! OMG I couldn't stand her it was like what or who is she trying to be?? It was funny but I dont consider it funnier than Role Models, I Love you Man, or The Hangover. Jonah Hill and P. Diddy were the comedy I do agree that Russell Brand could actually play a serious role but he is still not funny lol. I saw Couples Retreat in the theater before I started the blog so I never did a review of it, but I remember liking it.

    ReplyDelete