Friday, July 2, 2010

Eclipse

The latest installment of 'The Twilight Saga' franchise is in my opinion the best yet. I think each movie is getting better and better. "Eclipse" is directed by David Slade and stars Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner. This film, like all the other "Twilight" films are based off the novels by Stephenie Mayer. It centers around the romance love triangle between Bella, Edward, and Jacob. But, when word spreads that Victoria is back Bella, Edward, and Jacob must find a way to put their differences aside and work together to keep Bella safe.

I really enjoyed this film. I'm a fan of the books, and Eclipse is my 2nd favorite(Twilight being the 1st), so I was happy to see this film done exactly how I portrayed it in my head. This film has a lot of story and history built into it which I really loved. There are a few scenes throughout the film, that tells the audience the history of certain characters. For instance, Jasper and Rosalie tell their stories to Bella of how they became a vampire. Billy Black-Jacob's father- tells the story of how their wolfpack came about and I really loved how they shot that and that they kept those key facts in the story. I think it made the audience feel more for these characters and it wasn't all solely based on Bella, Edward, and Jacob.

The movie starts off slow in the begining and Slade has a ton of close-up shots of Bella throughout the whole film, which I thought was interesting because all the books (except for part of Breaking Dawn) are told in Bella's point of view, and I liked how he kind of made it seem that way with all her close-ups and voice overs. I think this film was a little more dark and more violent which made it a little more enjoyable, because even though I love love love the romance between Bella and her two mythical creatures, I think it's very hard to portray that on screen and have it be as awesome as the books.

I think Slade did an awesome job, this story is one of the best and action-filled and I think he pulled it off wonderfully. I think Kristen Stewart is great as Bella. A lot of people don't particularly like her as Bella but I can't imagine anyone else in that role. She is exactly how I pictured Bella to be, and she doesn't have any nervous twitches or studdering in this film like she did in the other two. Robert Pattinson portrays Edward wonderfully as well. I do enjoy that he gets very jealous, because although I read "Eclipse" a long time ago, I don't remember Edward getting jealous at all, but I could be wrong. But it made it seem more real that he was obviously pissed when Jacob and Bella have their heart to heart on the mountaintops. Taylor Lautner delivered a great performance as well. I don't particularly like Jacob Black but I think Lautner makes him very likeable. He's the complete opposite of Edward, tall, broad,  obnoxious, and sometimes quite rude. But I think Lautner plays the role so well that that's why there are so many people rooting for him to be with Bella.

I highly recommend this film to anyone who is a fan of the books, a fan of the first two movies, and who likes fantasy movies with a lot of romance and drama.

If you have seen "Eclipse" let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry if this posts twice:
    I guess you are on Team Edward! We haven't seen this one yet, we'll probably wait for Netflix. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes definitely on team edward lol. how about you? I thought this movie was the best made movie of the 'Twilight' films so far. Let me know what you think when you see it!

    ReplyDelete