Friday, August 27, 2010

The Kids Are All Right

'The Kids Are All Right' is written and directed by Lisa Cholodenko and stars Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo and Anette Benning. The film centers around a lesbian couple, Nic(Bening) and Jules(Moore) and their two children they had through artificial insemination. When their eldest child, Jonie(Mia Wasikowska) turns 18 her younger brother Lazor (Josh Hutcherson) asks her to find their biological father(Ruffalo). Jonie and Lazor find their dad, Paul(Ruffalo) through the sperm bank he donated to 19 years ago and realize they want to spend more time with him, if their moms agree. As Paul becomes more in their life things begin to change, will it destroy everything or could it be the start of something new?
I wholeheartedly enjoyed this movie to the fullest. It was beautifully written and starred the most talented actors. I thought what was the best component of this film, was the acting. Annette Bening was phenomenal. She portrays this straight laced, uptight doctor who is quite the nag. But, the levels of emotion that Bening can portray are outstanding. Julianne Moore delivered a fine performance as well. Mia Wasikowska was astonishing. Her performance was refreshing, and delightful. I think her character was quite complicated and she mastered her portrayal. Her subtext and her slight subtlties were perfect. Mark Ruffalo was impressing as well, with his portrayal of this rugged, independant charmer. Every emotion was pure and genuine, I was engulfed into this film, this story, these characters and never taken out of it until the credits rolled.

The other aspect of this film that I absolutely adored, was the fact that it was so incredibly real. At times I felt like I was watching real life. Sure there were parts I didn't like, and parts I wish they would add or change but, hey I guess that's why it felt so realistic.

Overall, I thought this was a great film, it had a lot of different levels of emotion, a lot of heart and an interesting look into a unique family. I would highly recommend 'The Kids Are All Right' to anyone who likes unpredictable films, unique stories and interesting characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment