Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Easy A

'Easy A' stars Emma Stone, Amanda Bynes, and Penn Badgley. The film focuses on Olive (Emma Stone) who attends Ojai High School in present day California. Olive is a 'nobody.' The film starts off with her narrating about how she is so invincible, that google earth wouldn't be able to find if she were disguised as a 10 foot building. She basically has no reputation and her pushy obnoxious friend, Rhiannon (Aly Milchalka) wants her to go camping for the weekend with her and her family. But, since Rhiannon's family is super weird, Olive makes up this story that she has a date. When Monday morning arrives Rhiannon is convinced Olive lost her virginity to the made up guy and begs Olive for details. Since she is the most annoying, obnoxious person ever, Olive makes up how she lost her virginity, with lie after lie after lie. But, they soon discover they weren't alone in the bathroom and Marianne (Amanda Bynes) comes out of the stall, judging Olive for not waiting til marriage because Marianne is one with Jesus. She spreads rumors like wild fire and now guys are starting to notice Olive. But, one guy in particular, Brandon (Dan Byrd) is a homosexual teen and begs Olive to pretend that they had sex so he can stop being tortured everyday for people thinking he is gay. Once Olive lies, everyone wants a piece and things turn ugly.

To say that I enjoyed this film, would be an understatement. It was comical, goofy and had a decent message. Emma Stone, although I wasn't a fan until now, surprised me. She was great in the lead role and her portrayal was real, and genuine. There was never a dull moment. There is a scene in the film where Olive is stating that she wishes her life was like an 80s film, which I absoultey loved. They showed clips from 80s rom-coms such as 'Say Anything', 'Can't Buy Me Love', 'Sixteen Candles', 'The Breakfast Club', and 'Ferris Bueler's Day Off'.  She then says that since John Hughes did not direct her life, she won't have John Cusack waiting for her with his boom box over his head or ride off on a lawn mower with Patrick Dempsey or have a meaningless musical halfway through her life. I loved that whole scene. I thought it was comical, and quite real, I mean let's face it everyone wishes their life was somewhat like a movie, their dream guy running after them or waiting for them in some crazy romantic way and who doesn't love musical numbers for no apparent reason? Also, being an 80s child myself, there is something about 80s films that are untouchable. They are unlike any other film decade. In my opinion, I think they will always be considered classics and I love the shout out to some of my favorite 80s films.

There were a few elements of the film that I didn't like. For instance, Olive is supposed to be this loser that no one knows about, her entrance into the film is her falling flat on her face with books and papers flying everywhere. Meanwhile, throughout the whole film that never happens again. Her character wasn't a klutz not only that but people cannot deny the fact that shes gorgeous and has super cute clothes and is always wearing beautiful heels! Her hair is always perfectly curled, but they stress so much that she is a nerd. Come on. I don't buy it, you can't have a girl dressed to the nines and her hair perfect and not a single person knows who she is. So unbelievable. They should've made her look ugly or not tried so hard to make her a 'loser.' I also hated Rhiannon. I thought her character was too over the top. If she was really her best friend she wouldn't have been so obnoxious. I understand that they needed her to be like that in order for Olive to lie and the rumor get spread but I wish they could've found a better way because Rhiannon was horrible and so annoying that I was glad she didn't have that big of a part.

But, I did enjoy Olive's parents, Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson. They were so out there and so hysterical, they made the movie for me. They were so laid back and goofy, sure a little unrealistic because they don't seem to stress that much that Olive is behaving badly at school or rumors that she is promiscuous are running wild, but very entertaining to watch laid back, cool parents.

All in all, a great highschool teen film. I would recommend this to anyone who has been through the drama and gossip of highschool. Also anyone who enjoys comedic, teen flicks.

If you have  seen 'Easy A' please share your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the movie as well. I agree that the only thing that seemed a bit unrealiztic was how they made Emma Stone out to be so "unnoticed" in the beggining. And of course, the high school "parties" that are shown in so many movies that are so not realistic! But, the story and acting was great. I liked the English teacher! And I thought the whole concept of the movie being narrated for the video she was posting was pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete