Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Clueless

Okay so since I wrote a review yesterday for the 90s film, "10 Things I Hate About You" I decided to write one about another classic 90s teen hit, "Clueless." I can see if you have never seen "10 Things I Hate About You" I'll let that slide, but if you have never seen "Clueless" there is something wrong with you.

"Clueless" takes place in present day(1995) in Beverley Hills, California. It stars Alicia Silverstone as Cher Horowitz, the rich, beautiful, popular nieve teen that loves to shop and hang out with her friend Dionne(Stacey Dash). Cher and Dionne are the most popular girls in school, and things begin to change when one day Cher is given some insight with her ex-step brother Josh(Paul Rudd).


Josh is in college and is very intelligent, and even though his mom and Cher's dad divorced he still hangs around at Cher's house because her dad is trying to help him become a lawyer. He tries to tell Cher to use her popularity for a good cause. Enter, Tai(Brittany Murphy). This "adorably clueless" girl with dyed red hair and baggy clothes, that Cher makes over and she soon becomes the most popular girl in school. But of course there's more to it than that.


Silverstone is comical and pleasant and the late Brittany Murphy is goofy and lovable. And if you want to know the truth, this where my love obsession with Paul Rudd began! He is charming and mature and although Josh is somewhat dull, Rudd is still interesting to watch.


I love the friendships between Cher, Dionne and Tai and how they are only 16 but they act so much older. I love Cher's dad(Dan Hedaya) and how he is always on edge and refers to his own parents as "brain-dead lowlifes."


It's a fun, light-hearted comedy that doesn't take itself seriously. It's simple and enjoyable to watch over and over and laugh at how silly and outlandish some of the people and situations are. So, if you haven't seen this film you are about 15 years late, but I would still recommend it. If you can't rent it, it's playing April 18th on Cinemax at 12:35pm and April 26th at 4:20pm on Cinemax but check your local listings just to be sure. It's like totally worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Loooove Clueless! It was huge for me while growing up and trying to learn how to be a teenager. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol omg i know, I used to watch it all the time and I watched it for the first time in awhile and I still remember all the lines! I wish Alicia Silverstone would do more movies!

    ReplyDelete