Wednesday, April 14, 2010

How to Train your Dragon

The animated Dreamworks film "How to Train your Dragon" is a wonderful story about a young viking, Hiccup, who just wants to be like everyone else, especially his Dad. In this film, vikings' main purpose in life are to kill dragons, but unfortunately Hiccup is this small, weak, gentle viking that couldn't hurt a fly. He in turn winds up befriending a rare dragon and realizing they aren't what he thought.


Hiccup's voice is Jay Baruchel, and I absolutely adore his character. He's smart and adventurous and although he's small and looks like he is incapable of just about anything, deep down he is this brave, strong little guy that everyone is routing for! Hiccup's father (Gerald Butler) is this big burly viking with fiery red hair and beard and their relationship is quite strained due to the fact that Hiccup isn't like everyone else. Hiccup is not very social so he doesn't have any friends or anyone that he really talks to or confides in.
Some of the minor characters, Astrid(America Ferrera), Gobber (Craig Ferguson), Snotlout (Jonah Hill) ,  Fishlegs (Christopher Mintz-Plasse),  Tuffnut (T.J. Miller), and Ruffnut (Kristen Wiig) were hilarious and added so much to the film.
I really really really loved this movie! It made me laugh, it made me cry, every minute of it made me feel something. As soon as it started there was action, and throughout the whole film there was never a dull moment. The characters and their relationships were brilliant. I loved Hiccup's relationship with his dad, Stoick and I loved how he was an outcast and all the younger kids thought he was crazy or weird. I loved how it was a story about vikings and dragons, which to me, is quite random. Even though it showed them as vikings from many many years ago the characters and their relationships were relatable on so many different levels. Kids making fun of kids, and parents and their children not getting along and not always on the same page, it was genuine and adorable to watch.

This story was original and beyond entertaining. I saw it in IMAX 3D and it was awesome, I'm sure it's awesome no matter how you see it but if you can spend the extra $5 I'd definitely catch it in IMAX 3D it was worth it. I recommend "How to Train your Dragon" to anyone who enjoys animation, intelligent children movies, and heart-warming stories with a bit of comic relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment