Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Kick-Ass, KICKED ASS!!!

The film, "Kick-Ass" directed by Matthew Vaughn, is based off of Mark Millar's comic book series that shares the same name. "Kick-Ass" takes place in present day in New York City and stars, Aaron Johnson, in the title role. Dave Lizewski, aka Kick-Ass, is a nerdy loser who isn't really good at anything and spends a lot of his time reading comic books with his two friends, Marty (Clark Duke) and Todd (Evan Peters). He gets this crazy idea to become a vigilante just like Batman and fight crime. So he orders a costume and a mask and soon realizes that he is in way over his head.

I really enjoyed this film. I went into it not knowing anything about it, so it was truly a pleasant surprise. The character of Kick-Ass is just like Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne; he is a huge nerd and doesn't get the girls. But, he is also fearful. Which I liked, the character seemed so much more real, and I felt like everything was really happening to that character. It was almost as if he was bored so he was going to try and be a superhero to fill his day but didn't realize the situations he would get into would be quite rough.

Nicolas Cage portrayed, Big Daddy, which was fun to see for me because I've really only seen him in movies where he is a regular average Joe. It was a nice change and even though it's a small part he gave a really nice performance. In the film he has an 11 year old daughter, Mindy/Hit Girl(Chloe Moretz) that fights crime with him and their relationship is adorable. Completely disturbing but adorable at the same time. They share a common interest and although it's insanely hard to believe that an 11 year old can do actual harm to anyone, and team up with her dad doing it, it's pretty cool. They have a unique bond and I enjoy the scenes they share.

Mark Strong's character, Frank D'Amico was pretty brutal. He is a very strong and powerful man that controls a lot of what happens on the streets. He even has inside deals with the police. He's intimidating and fierce which makes it all the more fun to watch and be entertained.

But, the character in this film that really shined was Hit Girl. She was beyond awesome. She is an 11 year old girl that knows how to handle knives, guns, martial arts and exercise her mouth with foul words. Moretz did a wonderful job portraying this character as a fearless crime fighter. She was tough, smart and mature.

Other than the awesome characters in this film, I really enjoyed the humor. The movie never took itself too seriously. Sure, there are parts that are quite sad but they jump right into something else so you never dwell too much into it. The writing was written well too, with pop culture added in with myspace and youtube which made it seem very modern. I feel as though a lot of times movies don't like to put things like that in because it would date the film, but I like it. I think it's more relatable when the characters act like how me and my friends act. Sure I take pictures with my cell phone and I used to have a myspace and I love youtube so I like when little things like that are thrown into a film. 

There were also a lot of cool shots throughout the film. There was a scene where Hit Girl is fighting a bunch of guys in the dark and she has these night vision goggles on so all you see is her shooting these guys through her night vision goggles, which was different and interesting. There is also a really neat shot with a bazooka but I can't go too much into detail without giving anything away but someone gets shot with it and gets thrown through a building and the camera pans out so the audience sees it from afar and its a such an awesome shot.

I recommend this for anyone over the age of 17 due to the strong language and violence but also for anyone who enjoys comedy, action, and heart in their movies. If you want my opinion this movie "Kicked-Ass!" It was fun from the beginning to end and I hope there will be a sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment