Monday, April 19, 2010

The Twilight Saga: New Moon




"The Twilight Saga: New Moon" is the second installment in the Twilight franchise. It stars Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan and Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen. Bella is your average teenager who moved to Forks to live with her dad, Chief of Police, Charlie Swan(Billy Burke) after her mom and step-dad went to Jacksonville, Florida. She loathed Forks, until she met Edward Cullen. The beautiful and perfect Edward Cullen. Not knowing why he is always absent on sunny days or why his eyes change color or why he is as cold as ice she falls deeply in love with him. After looking into his cold hands and strength, she learns that he is a Vampire. Knowing that he is a bloodsucking monster she still wants to be with him and only him. So, throughout all of "Twilight" they are together in love and of course have to deal with several speed bumps along the way. So, this chapter of the saga, "New Moon", Bella turns 18, technically 1 year older than Edward. She is afraid that she will keep getting older and Edward will always look like a 17 year old boy. Unless, she is turned into a Vampire. On her 18th birthday the Cullens hold a little birthday gathering at their house for Bella and give her gifts. Esme (Elizabeth Reaser) and Carlisle's (Peter Facinelli) gift winds up giving her a papercut. Ordinarily that would be nothing. But, to a house full of Vampires that could mean everything. One speck of blood, and Jasper(Jackson Rathbone) goes into attack mode. Edward pushes Bella back but she crashes into a glass table and her entire arm is now soaked in blood. Carlisle and Emmett(Kellan Lutz) try to hold Jasper back and Alice(Ashley Greene) finally calms him down but they all have to leave the room because the smell of blood could mean death for Bella. Carlisle is a doctor and is used to blood, most of the Cullens are, except really Jasper, he is a "newbie." Carlisle takes Bella and stitches up her arm. Edward is distraught over the pain Bella has to endure over things such as a minor papercut. After that fiasco, Edward decides that he is going to break up with Bella in order to protect her from getting hurt all the time.

After Bella and Edward break up, Bella is a mess. She's depressed and constantly having horrible nightmares. It takes her months to finally break out and talk to people. She realizes that anything careless or reckless that she does she sees Edward. So, she decides to try motorcyles. She takes 2 beat up bikes from a junkyard and asks Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner) to fix them up for her. Bella and Jacob become fast friends and things start to heat up.

I honestly, didn't like the book "New Moon". I loved "Twilight", but I really didn't enjoy "New Moon." I think because in the books, I love Edward and Bella's love and of course Edward Cullen himself. In the book, Edward isn't in it for most of it. I became somewhat bored with the storyline of Bella and Jacob, I think because I not only love Edward but Jacob gets on my nerves. But, the film it's completely different for me. I actually enjoy watching Bella go through tough times, and finally come to terms with the fact that Edward may not come back. I like seeing Jacob and Bella together and I think because Jacob is goofy and they joke around a lot that it's a nice change. When Bella is with Edward, although I want them together and I will always be on "Team Edward" they are very serious, everything is emotional and all their situations are heavy.

I've come to be really fond of Kristen Stewart. She, in my opinion, portrays Bella very well. Even though some parts of the movie are very depressing- such as when Bella is sitting at the window staring outside as the months pass- it feels real. Girls or guys that have that constant person in their life and when they are suddenly gone, they don't know what to do with themselves. Most people, react how Bella does and I think showing her suffer in that way was important. It shows that Edward was beyond real for her and that he was incredibly important to her and her life. It also shows how much she missed out with him, such as, her old friends didn't really know her at all and they are in shock when she decides to sit with them at lunch one afternoon instead of sitting by herself.

I think "New Moon" is also a very good way of showing Jacob Black's story. "Twilight" was more about Bella and Edward and now "New Moon" is more about Jacob and Bella. It was interesting to see their chemistry and the speed bumps that they had to endure through out the film.

If you want my opinion, I suggest you read the books, because they are nothing like the films. The books are truly great, and I firmly suggest you read them before seeing the movies. If you've read the books, I'd really like to hear your opinion on the films. Do you like the movies? Do you like Rob Pattinson as Edward, Stewart as Bella and Lautner as Jacob? Were they exactly how you imagined? Are you excited for Eclipse? Will you go see it when it comes out in theaters in June? I would really like to know! I will definitely be seeing "Eclipse" in June beacuse I really loved the book and I can't wait to see it!

4 comments:

  1. He may work well in the Twilight movies, but I have serious doubts about Robert Poutinson being able to play Kurt Cobain. I'll try to have faith in David Fincher's wisdom, as he has never done me wrong before, but...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I dont think Robert Pattinson is an amazing actor but I think he has a lot of potential. Sure, the Twilight movies got his foot in the door, but i think they are hurting him more. I saw his performance in "Remember Me" and I was truly impressed. I agree, I can't see him portray Kurt Cobain at all, I was for sure that was all a rumor but if it's going to happen I'm sure there was a really good reason why Fincher would cast him instead of someone else. But, I think more people should give him a shot, I think there's more to him than Edward Cullen and a lot of people can't see that, I know because I was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved New Moon. It was a great movie, and after seeing it - I am definetly on Team Jacob!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it too, and I could see why people would be on Team Jacob but I will forever be on Team Edward<3

    ReplyDelete