Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Iron Man 2


"Iron Man 2" stars the remarkable Robert Downey Jr. in the title role. If you haven't seen the first movie, I think you should see it before you attend this one. Some of the characters are back, RDJ, Gwyneth Paltrow, Clark Gregg, and Jon Favraeu but unfortunately Terrance Howard's role as Rhodey was replaced by Don Cheadle. I'll get into that a little a later. But, the film starts off with Tony Stark (RDJ) creating world peace all because of his invention of Iron Man. The government is trying to demand him to give the iron man suits over because they are considered dangerous weapons, but he refuses. Stark is on television throughout the world declaring how brilliant he is for saving the world with Iron Man. But, over in Russia, an older man is dying in bed watching the arrogant Tony Stark and is probably the only man that wants him dead. So before he dies he tries to convince his son(Mickey Rourke) to kill Iron Man.



The film is enjoyable, it could've used a little more action but I was satisfied. RDJ's performance was beyond enjoyable. He is funny, adventurous, charming and intelligent all rolled into one human being. He is also quite stubborn and insanely arrogant, so it's nice when certain people put him in his place. Gwyneth Paltrow portrays his assistant in the company but in this film he promotes her to CEO, her name is Pepper Potts and although they don't have great chemistry I think the audience still roots for them to be together. Pepper and Tony bicker a lot, which is fun to watch. It's nice to see that although Pepper truly cares for Tony she also doesn't let him take advantage of her, and she won't kiss his ass for anything. 


The acting was great in this film, as I said earlier RDJ is amazing. I'm not familiar with Iron Man's character in the comics but he plays this character wonderfully whether it is from the comics or he created the character himself, I absolutely love his portrayal. It's comical and witty and you're constantly thinking, "what is he gonna do next?" There are a few new characters in this installment, which are Scarlett Johannson as Natasha Romanoff, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, and Mickey Rourke as Ivan Vanko. Johannson and Jackson have small roles, especially Jackson but their scenes are good. Scarlett Johannson is a complete bad-ass that I wish they could've had more scenes with her in it. She's feisty and smart and can really kick anyone's butt, and on top of all that she's absolutely captivating. Her presence in the film is almost mesmerizing. Mickey Rourke's performance was good, although it too was quite small, he didn't have many lines and he had a thick accent which made some words and sentences hard to understand. Paltrow delivered a decent performance as well, but I just think her character is very boring. She doesn't show many emotions and she's always conservative to Tony Stark's laid back, fun adventurous self.


Now for the character of "Rhodey." Don't get me wrong, I think Don Cheadle is great and very talented, but I don't think he's that much better than Terrance Howard. I don't understand why they replaced him. I know for a fact Howard could've played that role just as good as Cheadle if not better. I hate when movies replace actors for no good reasons. So, even though I enjoyed the movie I kept getting distracted by the fact that Terrance Howard should've been Rhodey. I thought he had a great relationship with Tony Stark in the first film and I would've loved to have seen him in some of the action sequences in this film. But, anyway if you ask me the movie was great and I enjoyed everything but that.




I recommend this film, to anyone who enjoyed the first film, action, a little bit of romance, and a little bit of comedy. If you can, try to stay til the end of the movie after the credits role there is a very tiny surprise in the end. Let me know what you think, if you happen to catch this film!

No comments:

Post a Comment