Thursday, June 3, 2010

Prince of Persia



"Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" is based off a video game that was turned into a summer blockbuster film. The film stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Prince Destan, once an orphan boy that was taken in and adopted by a sweet and kind King. Fifteen years after Prince Destan is adopted, he goes on a long eventful journey with a rival princess(Gemma Arterton) for the possesion of a magical, powerful dagger that acts as a time machine but if not handled correctly, could destroy the world.



First off, it really felt like I was watching Disney's live-action Aladdin, and I'm sorry but who doesn't love Aladdin? Of course it was a little bit more violent and gruesome than a Disney film for kids would be, but it really had that affect. It was fast paced and action packed from the start. Also, director Mike Newell had some really amazing shots of the city, it was absolutely breathtaking.

Sure there were a few things that I didn't enjoy, such as the dialogue at parts was very corny, and some of the CGI was cheesy. Not all of the CGI just some of it, and there were a few spots in the middle of the film that dragged, but it was barely a 2 hour film, which in these days are quite rare.

I thought Jake Gyllenhaal was great. He was captivating and exciting to watch. He really evolved into this character and into his acting as well. Gemma Arterton was good as well but at times, annoying. Her and Gyllenhaal play well off each other. Ben Kingsley who plays Destan's uncle delivered a fine performance too.

Maybe I'm crazy but I really liked this movie. Throughout the whole film I kept anticipating something horrible because the reviews were so bad, but I never came across anything horrible or even remotely bad. I would highly recommend this film over "Clash of the Titans" and to anyone who enjoys adventure and fantasy. If you see this movie or have seen it please let me know what you think!


I actually really enjoyed this film. When I first saw the video game I loved it, the graphics were great and the story seemed interesting and fun, so when I found out that it was going to be a film I was stoked! Then all these horrible reviews came out for the film which really discouraged me, but I very rarely listen to reviews and I'm glad I didn't read too deep into them because this film was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment