Saturday, June 5, 2010

Harsh Times

Looking for a gritty, intense drama to watch tonight? Check out David Ayer's 2005 film, "Harsh Times" starring Christian Bale, Freddy Rodriquez, and Eva Longoria Parker. "Harsh Times" centers on Jim (Christian Bale) as a military man that has come home from Iraq and deals with the nightmares and visions of events that occurred over seas. His post traumatic stress disorder effects his life and the relationships that he has with others.  After being in Iraq he travels back home to California and visits with his long time friend Mike(Freddy Rodriquez) who is married to Sylvia (Eva Longoria Parker). Jim goes back to his old ways and trouble has a way of finding him. Mike and Jim go on a journey neither of them will forget.


I personally, didn't enjoy this film. It was intense and really gritty but very empty. I felt as though I kept anticipating the worst because it seemed predictable but it was quite hallow in the begining and middle. It wasn't until towards the end of the movie that there was some substance. So if you can hold out til the end, please do because it's quite powerful.

Even though I didn't thoroughly enjoy this film, I did enjoy the acting. Christian Bale and Freddy Rodriquez were phenomonal. Bale portrayed his character so well that at times I didn't feel as though I was watching Christian Bale, just this really screwed up military guy. That's how I feel when I watch Johnny Depp movies, I always try to picture Depp in a character that he already played in film he is in and it's quite impossible (ie: Edward Scissorhands as Jack Sparrow). So it was very hard for me to see Bruce Wayne through the eyes of Jim Davis. Rodriquez gave quite an impressive performance as well, as the struggling best friend.

I would recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys violent, intense story lines and in-depth characters that are interesting to watch. If you have caught this film, please share your insight with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment